Wednesday, July 11, 2012

So many glues!

I've been working on the accessory job I mentioned before and I've managed to go through a while 8oz bottle of glue just on one design!  It is about $6.99 at Ace Hardware.  I love the stuff. Weldbond is one of my fav glues.
Since I used so much, and it was mostly gluing fabric to ribbon, I was wondering if it would make more sense to get some fabric glue at work, since I could use a coupon to make it cheaper. A bottle of Elmer's Fabric Glue caught my eye.  I got the 4 oz bottle and went home to go and do some more gluing.
When I used it I found out that my bottle needs to be opened all the way, or you only get a tiny amount of glue.  You can squeeze until you feel like you are going to burst the bottle, but nothing much comes out.  Another thing I thought was weird was the smell of it seemed familiar.  It wasn't until later when I realized what it smelled like.
I have some glitter-glue that is glitter in a gel kind of glue.  This one smells just like that!  It also acts like it too.  It seems to be a white glue mixed with a clear gel glue.  It also says on the bottle that it takes 24 hrs to dry.  If you spread it thin, it goes clear before 24 hrs, but remains a bit tacky feeling.  Not tacky feeling that makes it feel sticky, but kind of like rubber that is grippy.  I have a bit of ribbon where it oozed out a bit and it still has that tacky-rubber feeling.
I've a bit torn about it.  I do like it, and it seems strong enough, but it takes so long to dry.  It also takes a bit to grab (which is more important to me than the actual dry time) but that would give you a bit more time to mess with things.

I'm going to have to play around with it some more to decide if I would use it for my things.

No comments:

Post a Comment